Thursday, September 13, 2007

383.4973 Postmaster Trivia: The Fun Part of Cataloging

During a large portion of my workday, I work on catalog records. Occasionally, I have to "original-catalog" interesting items that the district librarians send me...and I get to see and read the most interesting stuff!

Recently, I worked on some career materials for some high schools and got to read a little about the post office and people who have had the job of postmaster for their community before becoming much more "famous" doing something else.

Of course, "everyone" knows that the multi-talented Benjamin Franklin served as the country's first postmaster general. Presidents Lincoln and Truman served as postmasters. Did you know that John Brown, abolistionist; Bing Crosby, entertainer; Walt Disney, cartoonist; William Faulkner, author; Rock Hudson, actor; Adlai E. Stevenson, govenor/presidential candidate/UN ambassador; Bill Nye, the Science Guy; and Charles Lindbergh, pilot, were also postmasters?


And people say cataloging is not fun!


The list came from an Institute for Careers Research c2007 pamphlet.

P.S. More interesting stuff about Postmaster General Franklin that I found while researching for this post.

No comments: