Sunday, March 23, 2008

746.46 Passion Quilt: 21st Century Version

One of the book review bloggers I follow regularly, Miss Rumphius Effect, tagged me for a meme that is going around the educational blogosphere these days...a post to be added to the Passion Quilt originally started by Miguel Gulin

What's a meme? Loosely defined. Often described as a virtual chain letter...no postage needed! I don't often get tapped and more often don't participate, but I think this is a topic worthy of some attention. I think it can be a real learning experience.


So here is my submission:

A learning adventure simply begins with a step...a word...a book... a click.

Picture: Old Jetty Steps (New Zealand) Uploaded on
31 October 2007 by Light Knight
from flickr Creative Commons rights

I think it speaks for itself. Learning is simply a journey that begins with a first step in whatever format that works for the moment. It is the learner that must decide the when, the where, and the how.

My "students" these days are mostly the over-21 variety, WAY over 21, in fact. In most, I still see the passion that brought them to the education (classroom or library) table. Sometimes, it's a little buried under the minutia of the moment, but in our mutual experiences, it is often rekindled quite quickly by the simple act of coming together as a group of people who do share a common passion ...that of learning...that lasts a lifetime.


Here are a few other submissions from bloggers you will recognize from my blogroll:
Blue Skunk Blog
Hey Jude
Librarians Matter
Joyce Valenza's Neverending Search
Dangerously Irrelevant
Techno Tuesday - she actually "stitched" her own virtual quilt!
Not So Distant Future
I know there others and more being added often. You can google "passion quilt" and also can see many visual submissions iin flickr by using the tags passionquilt (yes written together) and passionquilt08

Here are the rules:

  • Think about what you are passionate about teaching your students.
  • Post a picture from a source like FlickrCC or Flickr Creative Commons or make/take your own that captures what YOU are most passionate about for kids to learn about…and give your picture a short title.
  • Title your blog post “Meme: Passion Quilt” and link back to this blog post
  • Include links to 5 folks in your professional learning network or whom you follow on Twitter/Pownce.

My mentor blogger G has already been tagged, but my other selections include:
ARK from ARK's Classroom...a pretty passionate (it seems to me) teacher turned recent library school student.
LG found on Librarian Tour Guide...one of the most passionate people I have run into in a long time...and I knew it immediately! Her passion rekindled some of the spark that was missing in my own fire ring.
Coach B who can tell me how she wants to respond...a new teacher whose passion just oozes out of every pore...I can't wait to see her visual representation...some of her creative talents "scare" me!
LibraryChica from Porter Library Blog and Gladiator from Forum who I have gotten to know virtually and represent individuals I would like to know better...and hopefully can introduce this activity to others in their own circles, bringing whole other points of view to the experience.
And of course Grendel from GOI-BOK, whose quiet passionate love of all things library and learning often goes unnoticed by the unaware, but who has stood shoulder-to-shoulder with me thru this whole crazy roller coaster we have been on for how many decades?

Yes, I KNOW that is 6 tags...can we just call it a blogger's 5...there are a WHOLE bunch more I could tag, but I have to leave someone for my victims, oops, participants to tag! I suspect everyone I want to see will be called upon shortly!

I'd like to see my circle's quilt come together as one piece....I think I can make that happen. Let's see.

Passionquilt, passionquilt08

3 comments:

Miguel Guhlin (@mGuhlin) said...

Great to see you participating in the PassionQuilt08 meme. It is a chain letter but so wonderful to see, especially in a Flickr slideshow, what they believe is important for kids to learn.

Wishing you well,

Miguel Guhlin
Around the Corner-MGuhlin.net
http://mguhlin.net

arkreynolds said...

VWB, thanks for the tag and comment. I am passionate about education and interested in joining the Passion Quilt. Just be patient, I'll have to let the creative juices start to flow.

Anonymous said...

Very Good articles , you make some interesting points .

Library website