Wednesday, April 16, 2008

025.3 Cataloging "Day" at Conference

I wore my cataloger's hat all day pre-conference Tuesday. All-in-all it was a pretty good day (ok, quit rolling your eyes) although a bit intense at times.

I attended the official pre-conference event on RDA & FRBR. It was not as scary s I thought it might be. In a nutshell, nothing is ready...no changes will be made that we need to be concerned about any time soon.

There IS some vocabulary that we all need to learn and be comfortable with. A little tease for now is Work - Expression - Manifestation - Item. There are other words we need to learn as well, but these are the beginning. I will explain them later. RDA (Resource Description & Access) is replacing AACR2...but not tomorrow! So no worries right now.

There are some websites and other information I will share later. I had several great conversations with some phenomenal librarians who also happen to spend a lot of their day cataloging...and got to spend time with one of the first (and one of my favorite) bloggers that I started to follow as well. That was a special treat. Thanks David!

But time is pressing for me to move on to today's activities...a Web 2.0 day...o, boy should be fun.
so I will flesh out the RDA experience later.

More later!

No comments: