Sunday, September 14, 2008

551.552 IKE Update

I am lucky.


After a brief time in the dark, I have power.
After a day of little or no trickle, I have water...in the pipes where it should be, and none where it shouldn't be.


I was prepared.
Water in the bath tub.
Full tank of gas.
Foodstuffs that required no cooking or refrigeration.
It amazes me that people do not make these simple preparations

I am lucky.

My new home is safe. I worked my way thru a jungle of downed pines and oaks. No water damage. No broken windows.


I am lucky.

I wasn't living there yet so my car was not in its assigned spot to be crunched by the cover that got smashed by the huge pine that came down. Or parked out front...where another huge pine would have made a pancake of my pretty red Ford. (pictures to come once my phone starts acting properly!)


My friend was not so lucky, but is ok.
I am grateful.

My district is closed for 2 more days due to power outtages and damages.
I am anxious.

I am lucky.



Photo: Flickr Creative Commons uploaded by .stephweiss

Photo: Flickr Creative Commons uploaded by Daniesq

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I am glad to hear you are alright! As someone who grew up in H-town (seven years in your work area and the rest in Sharpstown swamp), plus working for the City of Corpus Christi during and after Hurricane Allen, it amazes me that more people don't make the simple preparations you did. Those folks (includes my sister, aunt, and various friends) seem to be doing fine. And why can't the media talk more to people like you instead of the folks who made no preparations and are now demanding instant food, water, ice, and power restoration?

Sorry, guess watching KHOU pretty much nonstop over the weekend has gotten to me!

Terry said...

We are also lucky. No power yet and it loks like it could be awhile. Power lines down all over the neighborhood. No more fence so now the dogs next door roam freely which annoys Macy but we're fine. I am not made of hearty Texan stock. I'm going to San Antonio.

Unknown said...

Glad you are doing fine, have no damage and have power! Still no power but we have a serious generator so it's not nearly as bad as it could be. Plus I have a manual can opener and a gas stovetop. Wonder what the state of the district is? I haven't wanted to go look due to driving being difficult.

Anonymous said...

We, too, were lucky. So many near misses, but my family is safe. Even the dog. :) See you soon!