Friday, September 12, 2008

551.552 IKE: Preparing & Practicing Patience

Spent all day finishing the preparations for the effects of Ike upon my daily routine AND my impending move. Hardest part for me is trying to anticipate what things might be like this time tomorrow.

Did four loads of washing...it might be awhile before electricity becomes available. Need clothes to wear...and don't need to have to think about washing at the same time I move!

Cleaned out the refrigerator of all potential future science experiments...again based on the idea of no electricity being available. AND filled up every available vessel with water to make blocks of ice for the little freezer. Will keep the cooked meats and little bit of milk another day or so. Or I can put it on my head and pretend I'm cold!

Then I planned moving projects that can be done without much light. Yes, I have lots of flashlights and plenty of batteries, but I live in an apt with only three "windows"...great for protection against the angry elements, but means when the lights are out, it is pretty much a cave in about three-quarters of the place! Got my boxes arranged, found tape and scissors and markers. Ready...set...

Checked on the new place...battened down the hatches...locked the door...said a little prayer...and came "home."

Communicated with all the family and friends...assured everyone I was off the roads and ready to hunker down. Remembered to undo the garage door so my car would not be held hostage...in case the power was out longer than the roads impassable.


I know the media is doing its job, but continuous coverage on ALL the local channels ALL day and night...2 days prior to Ike's arrival. Ok, I know, picky, picky, picky.


I also know that not one drop of rain yet and the storm surge is already higher than many Gulf coast veterans remember. And they just reported that the bayous up here in my area are already rising from same said surge. WHERE is all the rain gonna go when it comes??


Oh, oh, first flicker of the lights...

I am lucky. I have very little worry about. I live about 50 miles inland and around 50 ft above sea level. My first hurricane was Alicia. My worst experience was tropical storm Allison who came and stayed...forever! There have been some other near misses that interrupted life for awhile. But I have never lost my house, my livelihood or someone dear to me. I am lucky.

Gonna go now. Turn off the computer. Disconnect it in case things go whacko in the night.

See you on the other side...hopefully soon and all intact.

BE SAFE. Hang on!
Visual courtesy of ABC-Channel 13

1 comment:

Cathy Jo Nelson said...

Sounds a wee bit like my week last week when Hanna was skirting our coast. Lifting you up in prayers. No power really stinks. I vividly remember Hurricane Hugo in 1989, and not having power for 11 days afterward. I lived around 75 miles inland then. We are all watching and worrying with you, but again, I'm lifting you and others up in my prayers. Take care.