Thursday, September 11, 2008

973.932 Seven Years: 9-11 Thoughts

This day was spent preparing...preparing my final thoughts for a workshop I was giving in the afternoon...preparing another load of belongings for their new life in a new abode...preparing for the oncoming hurricane, a "seriously"serious threat according to all the news reports.

But my thoughts...at least some of them kept going back to that day...7 years ago. Gosh, seems so long ago one minute and then the next, hardly a blink.

Why did I wrap my mind around that day? I was not "personally" affected...no one in my personal circle was affected...and yet, in the list of markers in my life...it is right up there with that day in November over 40 yrs ago and a handful of personal dates on my life timeline.

I was reminded about the event a little earlier this week when Daughter #1 relayed her classroom experience when her young students ask her about it. These sweet children only know it as a "history" lesson and were awestruck when their teacher could remember it actually happening and described her point of view. She was worried she would go too far and asked her students to talk with their parents about details.

I was reminded over the last 24 hours because I got to spend time with Daughter #2 and all I could think about was how I wanted my girls with me on that day...one being across town and the other down the hiway at school...and me thinking they might as well be on the moon because they were not right THERE with me...so I knew for sure they were safe.

Yes, this day was spent preparing...but with thoughts not too far away from remembering when.
May all Gulf Coast readers of this blog be safe...let's hope Ike blows through, but not with a vengeance. All readers take care...and hug any and all loved ones a little tighter the next few days.

2 comments:

LibraryChica said...

It is my turn to extend my wishes for your safety. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I know how scary a hurricane can be. Stay safe.

Anonymous said...

I remember feeling the same way about my boys on that day. I couldn't get to them fast enough. Now we wait on Ike at home instead of my mother's, where we've gone before. We stayed for much the same reason I wanted us together on 9/11. I couldn't stand leaving Dad again. No matter what happens, we'll be together, the way a family should. Be safe!